- All shops and commercial establishments except the establishments registered under Factories Act have to be registered under this Act.
- All shops and commercial establishments have to be registered under the Act irrespective of the number of workers.
- “Establishment” means a shop or a commercial establishment.
- “Commercial establishment” means a shop, commercial establishment, residential hotel, restaurant, eating house, theater, or other place of public amusement or entertainment to which this Act applies and includes such other establishment as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare to be an establishment for the purposes of this Act.
- “Shop” means any premises where any trade or business is carried on or where services are rendered to customers, and includes offices, store-rooms, godowns or warehouses, whether in the same premises or otherwise, used in connection with such trade or business but does not include a commercial establishment or a shop attached to a factory where the persons employed in the shop are allowed the benefits provided for workers under the Factories Act, 1948.
- Registration certificate granted under this Act shall not be valid beyond the year in which it is granted but may be renewed from year to year.
Details required for registration
- The name of the employer and the manager, if any
- The postal address of the establishment
- The name, if any, of the establishment
- The category of the establishment, that is to say whether it is a shop or a commercial establishment
- The number and names of employees employed in the establishment
- Such other particulars as may be prescribed
Procedure for Registration
- Application in form B1
- Original Copy of the Chalan receipt having remitted the prescribed fee at the nearest treasury of the office of the Asst. Labour Officer.
- Submit the form B1 and original chalan receipt at the office of the Asst. Labour Officer having jurisdiction over the area within 60 days from the date of commencement of the establishment.